First Aid for Icy Hot Burn

Immediate relief for Icy Hot burns or chemical burns from other Methyl Salicylate ointments such as Bengay, Bayer Muscle Joint Cream, ArthriCare Ultra Cream, and Tiger Balm:

To cool the burn, carefully wipe off excess cream with a kleenex, apply olive oil with a cotton ball, wipe off with another kleenex, and THEN wash off with water. This stops the burn within minutes. I am not a doctor, just a mom sharing the answer she got, because it really works. Let me know if it works for you too.

*IMPORTANT* IcyHot now makes a “no mess” roll on formula which leaves a film over the the active ingredients (I guess to keep it from getting on your clothes? ) If you’re burning with this formula or any other brand like it, you WILL need to wash off the film first with soap and water, and then use the olive oil trick to stop the burn. This seems to help though the rollon is harder to get off.

Edited to put relevant information at the top: seems this is a popular problem and this answer is too hard to find! Read on if you want the whole story (It’s a miracle :)).

When Icy Hot gets TOO hot! How to take the burn out of Icy Hot

My five year old woke up crying with leg aches tonight. So I did what I always do for legaches: applied icy hot. Only this time it seems his skin was a bit sensitive. And icyhot doesn’t wash off so easily with water.

So anyway, my poor little guy went from whimpering to shrieking in a matter of minutes. Everyone in the house was awake now and he was in alot of pain. We couldn’t rinse off what was rubbed in. So we prayed for relief and ideas to stop the burn, and then turned to the internet.

I phrased my google search many ways but only found horror stories of men who forgot to wash their hands or who learned the hard way not to … misuse… bengay. Not exactly the best reading material for a mom and her five year old (who incidentally suddenly seemed like TOO good a reader for his age – yikes!).

So I looked up the first active ingredient. Methyl Salicylate. I found medical writeups, but they were only about accidental ingestion. And for the layman like me, instructions to call poison control if it’s eaten.

I found no good advice for getting the stuff off though! An hour later, my kid had calmed down and fallen asleep. But I was wide awake and guessing with the frequency of his leg aches it won’t be the last time this sort of thing happened. So I decided to experiment with an idea that had popped into my head several times since praying: olive oil.

To test the theory, I rubbed a little icy hot in a few fairly sensitive places. First I tried my inner elbow, which turns out isn’t all that sensitive, but I figured it would compare to the backs-of-knees that were burning on my son.

Then, cautiously remembering not to ingest it but knowing I wasn’t about to put it on anything more sensitive, I rubbed a little on my lips. I must admit, I figured if I couldn’t get rid of the burn right away, at least I might get that Angelina Jolie pout for a moment. That didn’t work, by the way. Don’t try it… the main ingredient is poisonous if you get too much of it. And my lips burned like crazy.

But the olive oil did work. Moments after the burn kicked in, I applied the olive oil and rinsed it off, and nipped the problem in the bud. The burning stopped immediately. Even the smell disappeared. I hope if you found this article it works just as well for you.

WHAT TO DO: Remove any excess ointment with a kleenex. Do not rub it in. Douse a cotton ball in olive oil and use that to cleanse the affected area gently. Then wash it off with water. Pat the skin dry.

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: I still plan on using icy hot; it’s a godsend on leg aches, and it even works wonders on my wrists if I abuse them with too many consecutive hours on design projects. But next time I’ll definitely do a patch test with a q-tip. If it doesn’t burn after 2 minutes, I’ll go ahead and rub it in.

NOTICE: I am not a doctor, just a desperate mom who prayed for an answer and got it. This worked for me. I can’t guarantee it will work for you and can’t be liable. If you do decide to try it, please drop me a note on the contact form letting me know whether it did the trick. Hoping this helps someone. And typing always makes me tired, so now I’m going back to bed. Or not so much; he’s awake again with more leg aches. If you have tips for that please let me know!

Previously titled ‘How to Take the Burn out of Icy Hot’ — Trying to get this up in search engines where people who need it can find it!

Posted in Idea Blog Tagged with: , , , ,
217 comments on “First Aid for Icy Hot Burn
  1. Shannon says:

Thank you so much for this post! My husband put Icy Hot all over his entire back tonight and within minutes he was in severe pain. Simply washing it off wasn’t enough, so I hopped online and found this post. The olive oil worked right away. We are so incredibly grateful to you for sharing this!

2. Brigette says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I had a bad reaction to IcyHot (thought my legs were going to catch on fire)and this totally saved me.

3. Morgan Fingerson says:

It still burns… What the hell.

• Velda says:

Sorry Morgan. If you’ve got the roll-on kind, you need to get the filmy stuff off first with soap and water. Good luck.

• Rebecca says:

Hello, I used the IcyHot medicated no mess long lasting roll on.I used it on both sides of my neck my upper back and my whole right arm and I used a lot. After I applied the IcyHot I laid down because I was in a lot of pain. I usually use Bengay and I have never had a problem like this. About ten min after laying done I felt like I was on fire I tried to not think about it in hopes it would eventually calm down. I started turning red and my neck had welts and instead of calming down the pain went from a seven to off the charts. I could not talk to anyone because the pain was so bad I locked my bedroom door and instantly looked up cooling down the pain from IcyHot. I ran to get olive oil from my kitchen and carefully applied lots of it on the pain then I jumped in a cold shower left the water on my body then stood under my ceiling fan. I had to do this three times then I took two advil. It finally calmed it down to a three on a pain scale of 1-10. Be as calm as you can and you can be positive that it will help a lot. Please be careful not to rub your skin to hard when applying the olive oil. Apply it gently with soft tissues. I hope this helps! Faith

• Velda says:

Yikes! Welts and everything? The advil afterward is a good call when you’re that inflamed.

People might need to start calling the makers ( Chattem ) t about that roll-on stuff…

4. ff says:

Thanks for posting this! I had put some icy hot on my forearms since they were sore, then went out for a ride on my motorcycle (wearing my jacket, of course). By the time I got back home, my arms felt like they were on fire! I washed my arms off several times, but it still burned. After I found this, I tried the olive oil, and then soap and water, and phew… finally, relief.

5. Hunter wood says:

Thank you so much I was up until two with my knees on fire

6. This post was a lifesaver! My girlfriend tried Icy Hot on the backs of her knees and was crying within minutes. Water alone made it worse, but the olive oil really helped. Thanks! :)

7. norma says:

thanks so much!!! this is the first thing i saw when i typed it into the search engine and it seems to be working as i type!!….fyi: i used the the roll-on kind, thanks again for the simple treatment!!

8. Jennifer says:

This didn’t work for me. I washed my knee three different times and used the olive oil in between each wash, it still keeps burning. It took 2 hrs for it to start burning my skin.

• Velda says:

Yours might be an allergic reaction. Try asking your pharmacist or doctor for ideas. Good luck!

• Rebecca says:

Hello,sorry you had to suffer so long. I know that everyone is different and their skin can feel like it is in fire hours later after it already penetrates. The best thing you can do is to make sure to wash the areas gently because after a hour or more it has really worked its way in deep so at this point you need to calm the heat and wipe gently. The olive oil does have a soothing affect on the skin so I would suggest after applying the oil jump in a cold shower for about a min and do this three times to calm the heat. Good luck to all because I’m going to be careful for now on. Faith

9. Karee says:

I had severe burning going on tonight on my neck. I used the roll on Icy Hot. My skin was getting seriously red and dark red and the pain was getting bad. I rinsed my neck off really well with a paper towel and started applying the olive oil. I kept the olive oil on for several minutes the first application, rinsed it off, then applied a lot of olive oil and left it on for about 5 minutes. The burning started to go away within the first few minutes of the second application. I then rinsed it off again and it is soooo much better. It’s still super red with only a hint of warmth. I will apply the olive oil again and rub it in and leave it, that should help it all heal up. Thank you for this post.

So... what are your thoughts?

About

Just your atypical geeky single mormon mommy, blogging about faith, family, life, and love.

Velda - SingleMormonMommy

I'm Velda, by the way. Nice meeting you.

RSSFollow me on TwitterFacebook Page

You can subscribe using the RSS link, or if you prefer email, just enter your address here. I'll only send you updates, and promise not to spam.

Support this Site