Yoshi Egg Piñata

Yoshi Egg Pinata

Yoshi Egg Pinata

If you hadn’t gathered it from my other article, my kids LOVE Mario.  Ethan wants another Mario birthday party this year.. we may even do a combined birthday party for both kids since Mary’s birthday is in the summer (when friends are often on vacation.)

The title for this post says it all!  We were thinking of Mario themed Piñatas. Someone had suggested a Boo, and the kids and I thought that a question-mark-box piñata would be cool too.  But I’m thinking the simplest idea by far is a Yoshi egg!

You can of course make the yoshi egg using regular paper mache techniques, but we opted to go unique and make it with tissue paper. Here’s how:

– Cover a balloon with white two to three sheets of white tissue as your first layer.   Soak the first layer in water alone Don’t use paste on this first layer. Misting the paper with water would be a good idea. Add four to six more layers, brushing each with  paper mâché paste.  I wouldn’t use a flour-based paste for this one as you’ll want something that dries clear.  White glue or mod podge works.

– Let this dry, then pop and remove the balloon, and carefully slice part of one side off so you can fill it with candy and prizes.  We’re going to use chocolate coins, gold star confetti,  and whatever other mario themed birthday party favors we can find.   Use a few more white strips and your paste to put the side back on.

– Cut several large spots out of green tissue paper.  Use your paper mache paste to stick them on.

– After it’s thoroughly dry, paint the whole thing with mod-podge once more so it’s reinforced.  Mod podge dries clear and strong.

And that’s that!   And yes, it will be more fragile than a traditional pinata.  Since hitting it with a baseball bat doesn’t relate very well to the Mario theme,  I’ll have all the kids throw hacky sack ‘fireballs’ at it till it busts, and they can take home the haky sacks as part of their prize box.  The party favor box itself will be a question mark box, for sure. I’ll post a pattern. :-D

Speaking of Mario Birthday Parties, after years of waiting, there are finally some mario themed birthday party supplies to help supplement these ideas. And that link helps support my blog, too :-)

Posted in Idea Blog Tagged with: ,
9 comments on “Yoshi Egg Piñata
  1. Nic says:

One word of warning. Chocolate in a piñata during summer only works well inside out of the sun. Just thought you’d like to learn from someone else’s experience.

2. velda says:

Valid point. Here we’d do it in May (-before- vacation) and it wouldn’t be too hot I’m sure. But bubblegum coins might be a better idea anyway.

3. velda says:

Also… I thought I’d posted this but apparently not here! The tissue idea, while it was unique, made it harder to hang the pinata, which is why you see it sitting on a stool. I just recommend using thin layers with modpodge so it will be as hard and brittle as possible for this one.

4. katlyn says:

thanx soooo much

5. velda says:

You’re welcome!

6. Leslie says:

I’m having a Mario themed party for my son Ethan tomorrow and the similarities between this post and what we’re planning are spooky! We’re also using question mark boxes for favor boxes and including chocolate coins, then putting the rest of favors in bags in the pinata for each kid. We did our Yoshi egg pinata with newspaper and mache and it turned out brittle, I’ll use your idea of letting kids chuck things at it to break it. Thanks for the post and the great ideas!

7. velda says:

You’re welcome, Leslie! If you didn’t see it already, be sure to check out the Mario Birthday Party Brainstorm article I’d linked to earlier. That one has dozens of fantastic ideas contributed by readers. I hope you and your Ethan have a blast tomorrow!

8. Heather says:

If I wanted to make the pinata stronger for hitting couldn’t just do 1 layer of newspaper over it first and let that dry before using the tissue paper?

• velda says:

I am sure it would work, though you might have to paint it white anyway. You have to let layers dry as you go anyway, so if it doesn’t seem strong enough, just add another.

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "Yoshi Egg Piñata"
  1. […] – Bust open a Yoshi Egg Pinata … creating that will be our project for […]

2. […] – Bust open a Yoshi Egg Pinata … creating that will be our project for […]

So... what are your thoughts?

About

Just your atypical geeky single mormon mommy, blogging about faith, family, life, and love.

Velda - SingleMormonMommy

I'm Velda, by the way. Nice meeting you.

RSSFollow me on TwitterFacebook Page

You can subscribe using the RSS link, or if you prefer email, just enter your address here. I'll only send you updates, and promise not to spam.